Welcome to Saint Mary’s Church, Harborne, Birmingham, UK.

Order of St. Augustine.

Archdiocese of Birmingham

“Before all else, live together in harmony, being of one mind and one heart on the way to God.”  St. Augustine.

Our Weekly Newsletterhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/letter1.html
Times of Serviceshttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/services.html
Contact St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/contact.html
Location Maphttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/locationmap.html
Fr. Bernard’s Sunday Homilyhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/homily.html
St. Mary’s Schoolhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/school.html
Organisations, Groups and Activitieshttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/groups.html
Churches Together in Harbornehttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/together.html
History of St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/history1.html
Your Priests at St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/priests.html
“Mini Mary’s” Sunday Gospel for Childrenhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/minimarys.html
Today’s Mass Readingshttp://www.universalis.com/mass.htm
Guided Online Tour of  St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/tour.html

INDEX

Sunday Children’s Liturgyhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/Organisations/childliturgy.html

The Lady Chapel

RETURN TO FRONT PAGEhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/index.html
St. Mary’s Parish Centrehttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/centre.html
A few more pages and links...http://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/morelinks.html

In 1917 the stained glass windows in the Lady Chapel were erected and these were the gift of a Mr. S. Jewsbury. The original altar has since been removed and it is now a shrine to the Mother and Child. (See below for an original photo of the Lady Chapel.)


Many older parishioners will remember how narrowly St. Mary’s escaped from being burnt down in 1961 when, one summer’s afternoon, a fire started in the Candle Room, just off the Sacristy (now the Conference Room). Before it was eventually put out the Sacristy was blackened, the paint blistered, windows were broken, and walls upstairs of the lady Chapel, and the Side Chapel, were charred by hot smoke. If the fire had started at night no doubt it would have spread further to the whole house and church. It was at this time that the rest of the Stained Glass Windows were put into the church, and the old pipe organ, which was past its prime, was replaced with an electric organ.

http://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/Tour/tour13.html
http://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/Tour/tour11.html
  Back to 
first pagehttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/Tour/tourA.html

The Original Lady Chapel

Daily Prayershttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/prayers.html