Welcome to Saint Mary’s Church, Harborne, Birmingham, UK.

Order of St. Augustine.

Archdiocese of Birmingham

“Before all else, live together in harmony, being of one mind and one heart on the way to God.”  St. Augustine.

Our Weekly Newsletterhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/letter1.html
Times of Serviceshttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/services.html
Contact St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/contact.html
Location Maphttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/locationmap.html
Fr. Bernard’s Sunday Homilyhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/homily.html
St. Mary’s Schoolhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/school.html
Organisations, Groups and Activitieshttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/groups.html
Churches Together in Harbornehttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/together.html
History of St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/history1.html
Your Priests at St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/priests.html
“Mini Mary’s” Sunday Gospel for Childrenhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/minimarys.html
Today’s Mass Readingshttp://www.universalis.com/mass.htm
Guided Online Tour of  St. Mary’shttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/tour.html

INDEX

Sunday Children’s Liturgyhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/Organisations/childliturgy.html
RETURN TO FRONT PAGEhttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/index.html
St. Mary’s Parish Centrehttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/centre.html
A few more pages and links...http://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/morelinks.html
Daily Prayershttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/prayers.html

St. Mary’s Church History Pages

2.  The ‘original’ St. Mary’s in High Street, Harborne.

You might recognise this old sketch of a building in Harborne High Street. It is in fact the original St. Mary’s in what was known then as Heath Street. This was a disused Methodist Chapel with a small cottage either side. It was purchased by the Passionist Order in 1870 when they first came to Birmingham. A classroom for a new school was built behind this chapel in 1871, making it the first St. Mary’s School!

Mass was now celebrated in the Conservatory at the side of “Harborne Lodge”. In 1876 a new schoolroom was built beside the Harborne Lodge. The new St. Mary’s Church was opened, in the newly named Vivian Road, on 6th February 1877; and in 1895 a new Foundation Stone was laid for two new classrooms alongside the church. The Passionists stayed here and developed the site until they left in 1973.

In 1873 the Passionists purchased “Harborne Lodge” (later the Monastery, now the Priory) which was in Lodge Road, (later Vivian Road) and the whole of the above building was then converted into a school.

The extension joining “Harborne Lodge” to St. Mary’s Church was not added until 1911.

St. Mary’s Church was opened in 1877.

The rear view where the first schoolroom was built in 1871.

Various views of Harborne High Street showing the original building still standing today!

Return to History Index  OR     http://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/history1.html
Continue to next pagehttp://www.saintmarysharborne.org.uk/History/thepassionists.html